Monday, October 27, 2008

And so it begins.

I don't expect that anyone will be reading this other than me, at least for now, and that's fine. I'm establishing this blog as a virtual scrapbook of sorts- a place to organize various ideas and thoughts, to make notes to myself, to keep a blogroll of the lovely blogs that I like to read for inspiration, to jot down something funny that just came out of my four year old son's mouth, somewhere to keep track of that favorite lentil chili recipe that I have to look up everytime I go to make a big steaming pot.

My family and I have lived in our new home for a year and a half now. It still needs so much work- not a single room is finished. There just never seems to be enough time, energy, or money to do the things we'd like to do. As such, it just doesn't feel like a home yet. I avoid entertaining or inviting people to our home because we don't have a comfortable spot for them to sit and relax. I'm determined, however, to brush up on my 8th grade home-economics sewing skills and to finally make curtains. I'm resolving to make our home into a warm and welcoming place to enjoy at the end of a long day.

With that, here's that recipe:

(adapted from a recipe posted in the mothering.com discussion boards a couple years ago)

Lentil Chili

2 cups lentils
7 cups water or broth
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 large bell peppers (any color), finely chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
¾ cup beer
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 ½ teaspoons salt
sour cream
shredded cheese

In a 6- to 8- quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the lentils and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently. Cook the lentils until tender, about 45 minutes. Add the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, beer, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and salt. Stir well. Reduce heat to low. Keep the soup at a bare simmer until the flavors meld (about 30 minutes).

Top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream and some cheese.

No comments: